Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finding a Present Value is the Reverse of Finding a Future Value*

What about past value? Recently I've found myself mulling over past relationships and mistakes made. Generally these are the same thing -- past relationships = mistakes. I'm not what you'd call "super-experienced" when it comes to dating. I think it's a combination of factors:

1) Not being allowed to date until...well, I guess according to my parents, I was never allowed to date; I was just supposed to magically get married.
2) Not being what most guys are into. Generally people think that guys are into whatever woman walks past them, but sadly I've learned this is not the case. I'm not sure what it is. I don't think I'm ugly. I just think that I'm not attractive to most guys. I often get overlooked.

So anyway, the number of actual "boyfriends" I've had (including my husband) is four. Not high, not minuscule. And of those four, I'd say two were complete disasters. I can find absolutely zero past value in those two relationships, other than to indicate to me that I'm a horrible judge of character (my own included) and I should not be trusted to make wise dating decisions. Of the remaining two, I think one was just dumb luck, and the fourth and ultimate one was a great choice, though I think that could also feasibly be chalked up to luck. Because you just never know.

In my current relationship I'd say that the present value is not the reverse of the future value. I'd like to think both are highly valuable. But then maybe what the phrase means is that, like I said before, you never know. The present value could be awesome and the future value could be crap. Or death. Or falling into a volcano. Which also equals death.

Hm. So basically trying to find a future value is futile, so therefore you should bask in the present value, which the reverse of that because you should actually be aware of what you have at the moment (?). But what about "you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone"? Is Fundamentals of Financial Management trying to get all philosophical on us?

I guess I should value what is in front of me at the present moment: good friends, fancy laptops, strawberries, wine, and the clacking of fingers hitting the keyboards, inspired by what could have been the most banal of sources.

* Writing exercise inspired by a randomly-selected phrase from the book Fundamentals of Financial Management.

No comments:

Post a Comment