Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Paused


Lately I feel like my life is stuck on pause. I see all kinds of interesting and tantalizing things in my future, but I can't access them. It's quite frustrating.

Isn't it the Buddhists who believe in living for the moment and turning a blind eye to both the past and future? That's a tall order, and I admire anyone who can do it successfully. As a capitalist society, we are taught that the more we work and gain now, the more enjoyable things will be for us in the future. We go to work so we can earn a vacation. We are nice to people so they will be nice to us later. We invest in the stock market with the hope of future profits.

It's difficult to imagine a purely existential life. The future is not always so far off. It's happening. Right now. And now. And now. And now.

1 comment:

  1. Gimme a minute, I think I know how to make this thing play again ... and, so you know, it may involve a beat down of 1-2 of the guys on this list, not the mailbox or the City.

    ReplyDelete