Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rhymes with "Hate"

Ugh, I think I just got gay-bashed, SF-bashed, and Arab-bashed all at once, and I fall into none of those categories.

Walking to the shoe repair shop with JSS, we decided to take a stroll by these random "Yes on 8" protesters creating a hullabaloo on the corner. We live in the heart of all that is feared by conservatives, so I've never actually seen any of these "family values" folks around before (thank goodness). As we got closer, I was heartened to see some brave "No on 8"-ers in their midst.

We crossed the street and were greeted with shouts like, "Yeah! A man and a woman! Yes on 8!"

I was like, "Hell to the no. We do not support your values. No on 8!"

They seemed dumbfounded. "You mean you two aren't together?"

JSS: "Yes, we're together, but we don't agree with you."

This got them really ignited. Suddenly it was, "Fuck you! Go back to San Francisco!"

And then, out of nowhere, "Go back to Arabia!" and a butt was pointed in our direction. Meanwhile, one of their kids was shouting for us to "shut up."

Awesome. THESE are your family values?? I have to admit, I burst into tears on the spot. People of color spewing hate at us? What about solidarity? What about agreeing to disagree?

I am not amused.

4 comments:

  1. I am disgusted your story V and am feeling really sad about it. I guess it's a reminder that a) we live in a bubble b) this election is for real and c) there are still many people in this world who suck.

    Arabian nights this mother fucker,
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah! I feel you. I had an encounter with the Yes on 8 people that made my blood boil. I was on my way to work on Monday morning and there were Yes on 8 assholes standing on the corner IN FRONT OF THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TARGETING PARENTS AS THEY DROVE THEIR CHILDREN TO SCHOOL! How can they be allowed to do that?!?! I shouted a counter-argument out the window at them, but when I got to my classroom I was shaking with anger. If I see them there again, it won't be pretty.

    Good news though - They had put up yard signs all around the schools and the main street in the area. They are all gone now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. as i said in my text, HELL TO THE NO, MOTHAFU*A!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what an awful experience! I would've burst into tears too. I really really really hope Prop 8 doesn't pass. =\

    ReplyDelete